Friday 14 December 2012

Digipak reflection


Digipak reflection
After looking back at my digipak I think that it is not conventional to my genre - electro house as it challenges the music genre is the colours are dull and boring. An electro-house digipak will be bright and colourful however this digipak is boring as the colours as black, red and blue. Although the colour red brightens the digipak, the connotation of this colour are; danger and sex. This is not the representation of Northern Lights as her representation is innocents, so that her target audience can relate to her and so that she is a good role model. The colour black's connotation is prestigious and formality. However Northern Lights is a relatable artist therefore we want her to be represented as a normal girl who people feel they can relate too. The images are not following the electro-house genre as the flowers follow the the pop genre as this genre is usually for young children. As electro-house is usually listened to by teenagers to young adults, flowers do not follow the genre conventions. On the front cover of the digipak the typography is at the top in the center and the bottom at the right side of the frame, as the typography is in red bold font this stands out to the audience. Also on the back cover and the 'thank you' cover the typography is also red therefore it stands out to the audience.
I think my target audience - teenagers to young adults - will be able to build a relationship with my artist - Northern Lights. As my artist is portrayed as a normal down to earth girl who likes to express herself through her music. Also because the album is all about Northern Lights personal experiences and her private life I think her target audience will be able to build a relationship with her as the will feel they can relate to her.

My draft digipak
I decided to put the single name at the top left side of the frame so that it grabs the audience's attention. I then decided to put the artists name at the bottom right side of the frame to spread the typography out. Also I decided to have the background colour black so that the typography and images stand out from the advert. The choice of the image of the flowers is not conventional to electro-house as flowers is usually a pop genre convention. Also the colours on the digipak; red, blue and green are dark which does not follow the electro-house genre, Usually on an electro house digipak the colours are bright and colourful. To improve this digipak so that it follows the electro-house music genre I can put the typography in the centre of the screen so that its clear to the audience the artists name and the song title.



I decided to put the artists name at the top in the centre of the CD and the song title at the bottom of the frame in a smaller font. I also decided to put flowers on the CD so that the CD cover is not plain and boring as this is not the electro-house music genre. Although flowers are usually on a pop genre therefore the images on this CD cover is not conventional to electro-house. My choice to put a spray effect behind the artists name was to make the CD cover different and creative. To improve this slide I could make the CD a brighter colour and the typography a different colour as red is a connotation for sex, and Northern Lights is innocent and pure therefore the typography could be white or cream. Also I could change the design and instead have an image which has a connotation which relates to Northern Lights or is conventional to the electro-house genre.




I decided to put the title of this slide at the top in the center of the slide so that the audience are aware of what the slide is about. I then decided to put the names of everyone on the left side of the frame and a design on the right side so that this slide did not look boring. My choice to put the font is red was so that the connotation shows the audience that the names are important. I also decided to have blue flowers as on each slide there are flowers. If I could change anything I could change the colours of the font and design as the colour red is a connotation of danger and the names of this slide are not dangerous therefore the colour is making it unclear to the audience about how important the names are on this slide.




My choice to have a flower in the background was because I thought that the slide would be plain, however flowers are not conventional to the electro-house genre, as flowers are more of a pop genre convention. I also decided to put the producers names in the top right side of the frame as the audience were aware of the producers however my decision to position the songs of the album in larger font on the left side of the frame was because I thought that the songs were more important for the audience to see. The red colour of the font is a connotation of anger or danger, however Northern Lights representation is innocent, pure and she is a peaceful artist - so if I could change anything I would make the font a different colour so that the connotations of 
that colour relates back to the artist. I also put Island records logo in the left corner of the frame at the bottom so that the audience are aware of the record label Northern Lights is signed to.







This draft will assist me when creating my second digipak as I will try to make the second digipak more conventional to the electro-house genre. I will make my second digipak more colourful and bright and I will use photoshop to make a design which will make my digipak more effective for showing that the genre of Northern Lights slbum is electro-house.


My Final digipak
I think my second digipak is conventional to my genre - electro-house - as the colours are bright and colourful, in comparison with my draft digipak where the colours were dull and boring. Also the colours used for the typography; blue, green and purple relate back to the artists name - Northern Lights - and the design on each slide; green, pink and purple are in the spectrum which also relates back to the song title. I also have most typography and images in the centre of the frame as it makes the audience aware of what the main focus is on each slide.


I decided to position the artists name at the top of the frame as this makes the audience aware of the artist, I also chose to make the colour of the artists name in green as it relates back to the colours of the northern lights. This is conventional to the electro-house music genre as the artists name is usually at the top of the frame. I then decided to put the song title in the centre at the bottom of the frame in purple font as it stands out for the audience to show the audience what the song is called, also this colour relates back to the colours of the spectrum. My choice to position the artists image on the left side of the frame was because I thought by placing the image here the audience are aware of the artist and by placing the comments about the album on the right side of the frame this shows the audience how good the album is. This is also conventional to the electro-house genre as an image of the artist is usually in the centre of the frame so that the audience are aware of the artist. The design in the bottom left hand side of the frame is different compared to the flower as I decided this design relates back to how Northern Lights is unique and different from everyone as the design is spread out.

I decided to position the artist name at the top in the centre of the frame as this once again grabs the audiences attention and makes it clear who the artist is. I then decided to position the title of the song across the bottom in the centre of the frame as this spreads the typography out. The colour of the CD is pink, I chose this colour as it is brighter compared to the dark blue CD on my draft digipak. This is conventional to my music genre as digipaks within the electro-house music genre are usually bright and colourful. I also decided to have a pink CD as this is a connotation of femininity - which relates back to Northern Lights and how she is feminine. I chose to make the typography white as this is a connotation of innocents and purity which relates back to Northern Lights, this is conventional to the electro-house music genre as the colour white is usually on an electro-house digipak. My decision to put the same design which is on the frame cover was because it once again represents how Northern Lights is and individual from everyone else.


I decided to put the title of the slide at the top in the centre of the frame as it shows the audience straight away what this slide is about. I then chose to position the typography in the centre of the frame so that its clear and makes the audience aware of all the names, this not conventional to my music genre as the names are usually at the bottom of the frame. I decided to put the design in the background of the frame as it relates to the audience, a design on this slide is conventional to this music genre as it makes this slide less boring and more colourful. The blue and green colours of the design relate back to the artists name - Northern Lights - as the colours of the Northern Lights are green and blue.



I decided to position the titles of the songs in the center of the frame as it grabs the audiences attention straight away. I also decided to make the typography white as the connotations of white is pure which relates back to Northern Lights as her music is truthful as its personal experiences from her life. I positioned the Islands logo in the left at the bottom of the frame to make it clear to the audience the record label that Northern Lights is signed too. My choice to put the producers names at the bottom of the frame was because I thought that their names should not be at the top like on the draft digipak as its not conventional to the music genre - electro house. I once again put the design on the background of this slide to make the slide more colourful, therefore this is conventional to the electro - house genre.
























In order to decide which digipak me and my group will use as our final digipak, I will share my production - my digipak - to my group and then we will all decide which digipak will suit Northern Lights and will cater to Northern Lights target audience and the electro-house genre.

My group have decided to use Meghans digipak as our final digipak as its more conventional to the electro-house genre as the colours used are more subtle which is a convention of the electro-house genre. Also we decided to use Meghans digipak as the style of the digipak is similar to our final magazine advert, therefore when Northern Lights target audience see either the magazine advert or the digipak this design on both productions will symbolise Northern Lights.

1 comment:

  1. Your analysis of your two digipak shows some understanding of why it is essential to evaluate your work and this is because you have considered your choices and your weakness.

    Now you need to consider how you will share your production with your group and decide on a final one to submit

    ReplyDelete